當前位置: Language Tips> 實用口語
分享到
英語中有不少習語含有國家的名字,卻有著意想不到的意思,如Dutch uncle(動輒訓人的人),Indian sign(咒語,不詳的人或物),那么希臘、中國、法國這些國家在英文習語中又是什么意思呢,一起來看看吧!
1. It’s all Greek to me
We use this expression when we cannot understand something we read or hear.
當我們不理解看到的或聽到的某件事時,可以使用這句表達。
“I recently read this book on Metaphysics. Did you understand it, because it was all Greek to me.”
“我最近看了這本關于玄學的書,你看懂了嗎,因為我完全看不懂。”
2. Go Dutch
We go Dutch when we go to a restaurant and share the bill.
我們用這個習語表示去餐館并且各自結賬。
“Rachel does not like her male companion to offer her dinner. She always prefers to go Dutch.”
“瑞秋不喜歡男伴請客,她喜歡各付各的。”
3. Chinese Whispers (UK)
This expression is often used as a metaphor for mistakes and inaccurate information which comes from rumours of gossip.
這個習語通常比喻因為謠言而產生的錯誤或不準確的信息。
“All this talk about the Prime Minister resigning is just Chinese Whispers.”
“關于首相辭職的謠言純屬無中生有。”
4. Talk for England
When someone can talk for hours and hours.
這個習語指的是某人可以長篇大論講很久。
“I’m so sorry I’m late. I couldn’t get away from Linda. She can talk for England!”
“抱歉我遲到了。琳達太能講了,我實在脫不開身。”
5. Dutch Courage
When you need a little alcohol to give you the courage or confidence to do something.
這個習語用在你需要一點酒來壯膽做某事的時候。
“I think I’ll have a quick drink for Dutch Courage before I ask that girl to dance with me.”
“我覺得邀請那個女孩和我跳舞之前我應該喝點酒壯膽。”
6. Pardon My French (UK)
We use this expression before or after we have said something rude, for example, a swear word.
在我們說了粗魯的話,比如臟話之前或之后,可以用這句。
“Who the fuck do you think you are...pardon my French.”
“你以為你是什么東西……不好意思我罵人了。”
7. A Mexican Standoff
This expression is often used in a business situation when two sides cannot agree.
這句話通常用在談生意的時候雙方未能達成一致。
“There appears to be a Mexican Standoff as neither party can agree on the terms of the merger.”
“顯然雙方未能達成一致,在合并條款上仍存在爭執。”
8. Indian Summer (UK)
A period in late autumn when the weather is unusually warm.
秋天快要結束的時候,天氣比較暖和的那段時間。
“Much as I love this Indian Summer, I wish we had this warm weather in the summer rather than in October.”
“盡管我很喜歡秋末溫暖的天氣,我更希望夏天也能有這個溫度而不是十月份。”
9. Slow Boat to China
We use this expression to describe something that is very slow and takes a long time.
這句習語用來描述做某件事需要花費很長的時間。
“Waiting for the architects to produce their plans was like taking the slow boat to China.”
“等待建筑師們的設計計劃需要花費很長時間。
10. Too Many Chiefs and Not Enough Indians
This is often used to describe a company where there are too many managers and not enough people doing the actual work.
這句話指的是公司里有太多經理而真正干活的人很少。
“The trouble with that company is that there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians.”
“那家公司的問題是經理太多而真正干活的人很少。”
(來源:滬江英語 編輯:丹妮)
上一篇 : 美語:moment of truth 結果揭曉的關鍵時刻
下一篇 : 24個超級爆笑離奇的英語怪詞
分享到
電話:8610-84883645
傳真:8610-84883500
Email: languagetips@chinadaily.com.cn