99e热国产最新地址获取,成人一a毛片免费视频,一级a爱看片免费观看,最近最新中文字幕大全免费一

首頁  | 實用口語

英語習語中包含的國家名字

滬江英語 2014-08-18 14:42

分享到微信

英語中有不少習語含有國家的名字,卻有著意想不到的意思,如Dutch uncle(動輒訓人的人),Indian sign(咒語,不詳的人或物),那么希臘、中國、法國這些國家在英文習語中又是什么意思呢,一起來看看吧!

 

1. It’s all Greek to me

We use this expression when we cannot understand something we read or hear.

當我們不理解看到的或聽到的某件事時,可以使用這句表達。

“I recently read this book on Metaphysics. Did you understand it, because it was all Greek to me.”

“我最近看了這本關于玄學的書,你看懂了嗎,因為我完全看不懂。”

2. Go Dutch

We go Dutch when we go to a restaurant and share the bill.

我們用這個習語表示去餐館并且各自結賬。

“Rachel does not like her male companion to offer her dinner. She always prefers to go Dutch.”

“瑞秋不喜歡男伴請客,她喜歡各付各的。”

3. Chinese Whispers (UK)

This expression is often used as a metaphor for mistakes and inaccurate information which comes from rumours of gossip.

這個習語通常比喻因為謠言而產生的錯誤或不準確的信息。

“All this talk about the Prime Minister resigning is just Chinese Whispers.”

“關于首相辭職的謠言純屬無中生有。”

4. Talk for England

When someone can talk for hours and hours.

這個習語指的是某人可以長篇大論講很久。

“I’m so sorry I’m late. I couldn’t get away from Linda. She can talk for England!”

“抱歉我遲到了。琳達太能講了,我實在脫不開身。”

5. Dutch Courage

When you need a little alcohol to give you the courage or confidence to do something.

這個習語用在你需要一點酒來壯膽做某事的時候。

“I think I’ll have a quick drink for Dutch Courage before I ask that girl to dance with me.”

“我覺得邀請那個女孩和我跳舞之前我應該喝點酒壯膽。”

6. Pardon My French (UK)

We use this expression before or after we have said something rude, for example, a swear word.

在我們說了粗魯的話,比如臟話之前或之后,可以用這句。

“Who the fuck do you think you are...pardon my French.”

“你以為你是什么東西……不好意思我罵人了。”

7. A Mexican Standoff

This expression is often used in a business situation when two sides cannot agree.

這句話通常用在談生意的時候雙方未能達成一致。

“There appears to be a Mexican Standoff as neither party can agree on the terms of the merger.”

“顯然雙方未能達成一致,在合并條款上仍存在爭執。”

8. Indian Summer (UK)

A period in late autumn when the weather is unusually warm.

秋天快要結束的時候,天氣比較暖和的那段時間。

“Much as I love this Indian Summer, I wish we had this warm weather in the summer rather than in October.”

“盡管我很喜歡秋末溫暖的天氣,我更希望夏天也能有這個溫度而不是十月份。”

9. Slow Boat to China

We use this expression to describe something that is very slow and takes a long time.

這句習語用來描述做某件事需要花費很長的時間。

“Waiting for the architects to produce their plans was like taking the slow boat to China.”

“等待建筑師們的設計計劃需要花費很長時間。

10. Too Many Chiefs and Not Enough Indians

This is often used to describe a company where there are too many managers and not enough people doing the actual work.

這句話指的是公司里有太多經理而真正干活的人很少。

“The trouble with that company is that there are too many chiefs and not enough Indians.”

“那家公司的問題是經理太多而真正干活的人很少。”



(來源:滬江英語 編輯:丹妮)

 

中國日報網英語點津版權說明:凡注明來源為“中國日報網英語點津:XXX(署名)”的原創作品,除與中國日報網簽署英語點津內容授權協議的網站外,其他任何網站或單位未經允許不得非法盜鏈、轉載和使用,違者必究。如需使用,請與010-84883561聯系;凡本網注明“來源:XXX(非英語點津)”的作品,均轉載自其它媒體,目的在于傳播更多信息,其他媒體如需轉載,請與稿件來源方聯系,如產生任何問題與本網無關;本網所發布的歌曲、電影片段,版權歸原作者所有,僅供學習與研究,如果侵權,請提供版權證明,以便盡快刪除。
人氣排行
中國日報網 英語點津微信
中國日報網 雙語小程序